11 August 2006

News of the Week

My week has been one fire fighting at work and I am happy it is over. It is a pretty sad state of affairs when you start wishing 5/7th of your life away. Work: The necessary evil. I was unemployed for the month of May following being RIF'd from a firm with which I had been for about 14 years. Thankfully I had seen it coming and was prepared financially. The local office for this Lousiana based engineering firm is struggling under the weight of poor management and baggage carried by its staff. Until this year I was able to keep busy by finding my own work through connections that I have within the company. Unfortunately the jobs that I was able to get required a great deal of travel and I was tired of being on the road and away from my family. I spent a month last fall working a disaster recovery center in Orange, Texas. My employer had a contract with FEMA.

Initially I was a little shocked by being sacked and in fact probably have a pretty good wrongful termination case, but on the other hand, the time off was nice and I was able to finish several projects that had gone undone during the times away from home. Life is all together to short to carry a grudge. Screw 'em. I am done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home