10 November 2007

Grand Opening and Priorities

This morning the Sportsmen's Warehouse store in Wasilla, AK opened. It was the social event of the season. We arrived about 0815 and were forced to park in the overflow across the drive. It was a great event (such as these things can be. Not quite the start of the Iditarod but never the less a good time to see friends.

I did succumb to the temptation but it was for a good cause: Christmas for my son. I picked up a remarkable deal on a Remington 870. As much as I like the feel of wood, practically won out in the end. Black synthetic was a better choice. I jumped the gun, so to speak, on the buy ammo day when I picked up a case of Winchester shells. Hey, you can never have too much ammo, right?

A friend is luckily in the employ of Sportsmen's and casually mentioned a "deal" on a black rifle. Naturally this peaked my interest. They were offering a substantial discount on the S&W M&P P-15 ($850), which is a pretty darn good deal. But as they say on TV "Wait, there is more!" If I bought now, they would throw in a .40 M&P line pistol for only $99. Hmmmm. For less than a grand, I would walk out the door with 2 good weapons. Round up to an even grand and I would take away a nice handful of starter ammo. My wife, only partially understanding the conversation was encouraging me to buy an early birthday present (later I learned that she interpreted "black rifle" to mean "black powder"). Fortunately -or maybe unfortunately- the store was nearing closing time so I deferred the decision until Sunday morning.

Bright and early, Sunday, I rolled out of bed, started the water for coffee, and loaded the stove with wood and contemplated the morning. Alas, the glow of the extension-cord plug to my block heater reminded me that I had higher priorities: glow plugs. That and the fact that I am contemplating a less-than-voluntary job change. This is the burden that us responsible adults bear...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home